Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Indianola, MS - Middle of nowhere

The weekend was entirely uneventful; I put the truck in the shop late Thursday evening to get the starter replaced and the repairs weren't complete until Sunday night. I asked for the time off to see a doctor; I'm on medication and getting better. Once back in the truck Monday afternoon, I received a work assignment telling me to go about 60 miles in under an hour, picking up an empty along the way. I just called in to tell ops that it was impossible; they told me to pick it up this morning.

So I woke up early this morning, fueled the truck up, and hit the road. It was rather annoying trying to get the empty trailer, since it was parked right against a curb, making it very difficult to get the tractor straight under it. On top of that, it was at a really awkward spot which forced me to get under it before working the landing gear to lower the trailer, so I needed nearly 45 minutes to do something that should have taken just under half that much time. From there, though, things were pretty simple: drive to the shipper, relax for an hour while the trailer was loaded, then drive to the consignee.

I'm thankful that this place has parking, since there's just about nothing else this far out. I'm at least an hour's drive from the nearest Interstate. Since I could use the rest, I just pushed myself out to the wee hours of the morning; I won't be getting assigned anything before 4 AM tomorrow. Given how slow freight usually is in Mississippi, though, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up and find that I'm still without a work assignment. That's entirely speculation for now, though; for the moment, I just need to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment