Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Effingham, IL - Sunny side up

Today was one of those rare days where things went generally well. I have to remember to write about these once in a while. :)

Despite getting quite a bit less sleep than I should have last night, I felt quite energized when I woke up this morning. I fueled up, left exactly when I planned on, yet arrived at the customer nearly an hour ahead of schedule. They assigned me a dock, started unloading me shortly thereafter, and I left at the time I'd originally had an appointment for. While waiting, I found a shortcut that saved me more than half an hour getting to my next stop, to pick up another load.

I lost some of that time at my stop, though. Dropping my trailer was easy enough, but the loaded trailer was sitting with its landing gear in a sinkhole. One side of the trailer was leaning so far down that the bottom rail was nearly resting on the tires! I was ... less than thrilled at this point, as I was eager to get back on the road. It didn't help that I'd hopped a little too high getting into the truck and smacked my skull on the door frame. Further, I hit my chin with the landing gear handle as I tried to raise it a little. A twenty minute wait later, one of the yard guys came by and managed to pull the thing out by ramming under it at speed. I hooked up and got driving shortly thereafter.

The rest of the drive was relatively easy: 55+ mph through Michigan, Indiana, and half of Illinois to get here with 45 minutes left on my 11. I had to stop to scale out on the way, but otherwise the trip was uneventful. I tried to stop at a truck stop further north, but they apparently charged for parking - multiple signs said "authorized parking only; permits may be purchased at the fuel desk" - so I pressed on to arrive here. I've trip planned out the rest of my current load, so it's now just a matter of getting up on time to deliver the load when I said I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment