Friday, March 27, 2009

Tampa, FL - Same stuff, different month

Operations has a remarkable way of dismissing even simple requests they dislike as being unreasonable. They insisted that I go to this guy's apartment anyway, only conceding that it would be safer to get the key while sitting in the complex's office. I got the key, quickly put my stuff in the rig, and returned the rental. It took about half an hour for me to get a work assignment after that, though what I have is pretty lousy. The trailer won't be ready for me to pick up until either two or three in the morning (I've heard both numbers twice), but at least I can deliver it the same day in south Georgia. Freight in that area usually isn't too bad, since we have two large accounts out of the city, so there's at least a chance I'll get some respectable mileage after that.

The "new" truck I've been assigned is another '03, like my old one. Also like my old one, it has about 730,000 miles. However, they've upgraded a lot of things on the rig: it has a CD player with built-in alarm clock, a nicer air conditioner, and an auxillary heater. According to the ex-driver, they've also done a lot of repairs on it, such that this thing is probably as good as new overall. There's no telling how long I'll be driving this one, but I'm not going to complain if I keep it for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment