Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Theodore, AL - One of those afternoons

I didn't even get started today until nearly noon, and I parked here at 4:15. Only two and a half hours of actual work. Sounds like a good day, right? Well, not exactly. Things started off well enough, but the directions I had to the shipper were horrible; I ended up following them to their old address, on property they still own but at a warehouse rented out by someone else. Turns out I had to go across the street. They loaded the trailer and sent me on my way in about an hour.

Getting out of there, things got steadily worse. Traffic on I-65 in Mobile was much heavier than I'm used to seeing. On top of that, someone had spilled a few empty pallets on the road, blocking two of the three lanes, which forced everyone to the far left lane or the right shoulder. Once out of that mess, I had to try move back left to make it out of lanes that were ending or exiting. Then I arrived at the Pilot here to scale the load, only to find that all 50 parking spaces here were already full. I looked around a bit, just to make sure; during that time, three trucks pulled out and I quickly snapped up one of the spaces. I'll still have to scale the load, but I'll worry about that in the morning.

I plan on getting out of here around 2:15 AM and heading toward Texas. Not sure just where I'll stop yet, but there's a place near San Antonio that seems promising. After a break there, I'll head to Laredo, take care of business there, and hope they route me north. I also have to hope that I dodge the worst of the severe weather, since I can't exactly outrun a tornado in this thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment