Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sarita, TX - Going in circles

I had to get up awfully early this morning, so this is going to be a
short post. Ended up leaving San Antonio around 5:30 AM, then headed
down to Laredo. Things went well, aside from one incident about
halfway there. I was in the right lane, another truck was passing me
in the left lane, and a third truck was trying to merge onto I-35. I
had nowhere to go and both the merging truck and I stomped on the
brakes until we both were doing about 25. He got on, I got back in
place, and no damage was done.


I did get a pleasant surprise while in Laredo: A 1,350 mile run to
Colorado Springs. That wasn't entirely without incident either,
though; I managed to break the Qualcomm and lost nearly an hour while
that was repaired, then found that the trailer I'd been assigned was
wedged in between other trailers in such a way that I'd never be able
to get it out; I couldn't even reach the landing gear to raise it up
and, even if I could, there wasn't enough room for me to swing out and
actually leave the yard with it. I hastily found another trailer, sent
that number in, got a message back saying to take it, and went on my
way. The problem? I left Laredo at 12:15, had to travel 220 miles, and
the shipper allegedly closed at 4 PM. I called the shipper myself to
apologize and try to arrange something else, but ended up getting
voice mail... the greeting, however, said their office hours were
until 5 PM. Turns out that was true; they were still there when I
arrived at 4:45.


It's a small miracle I arrived at all, though! The route I was on was
... well, barely legal for an empty trailer. One segment of road had a
weight limit of about 58,000 pounds, while another wound through a
residential area to end up on a dirt road. Yep, that's right: a big
ol' semi going down a lane-and-a-half-wide dirt road. The facility had
just one dock, and a driveway barely large enough to let one one truck
through at at time. I needed nearly 15 minutes just to back in, but
figured it out eventually; I finished it right at 5 o'clock. They
loaded me and sent me on my way.


The accumulation of delays left me rather short on my 14, though. I
originally planned to make it to Corpus Christi, but that was clearly
impossible: I was 150 miles from the city with just 45 minutes left.
As it is, I went about half an hour overjust getting this far, but I
doubt anyone's going to notice thirty minutes. Tomorrow's going to be
more problematic, though: Amarillo, Texas is 694 miles from here, whch
is more than I can do in 11 hours of driving, but not impossible for
me to do within 14. I have no idea how I'll make it work on paper, but
I should be able to swing something, one way or another.For now,
though, I need to get to sleep; tonight's the first night in a rather
long time I'll be getting nine hours of sleep. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment