Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oklahoma City, OK - Far West

This morning was rather uneventful. I woke up a bit later than I wanted, delivered my load, then had to sit and wait for nearly five hours for a work assignment. However, my cynicism about the lack of freight was ill-founded. I'm picking up a relay here in town first thing in the morning, then going clear out to northern California with it. Total mileage? 1,720 miles, good for more than $550. I'm going to have two very long days to get out there, though; at least 625 miles tomorrow and Friday, leaving me 350 or so for Saturday morning since this has to be delivered by noon. If I do all that according to plan, I'll only have five hours left on my seventy, so that's going to come into play as well.

The one wildcard in all this is a loud whining noise my truck makes when accelerating. Kilroy (the other Schneider driver who comments here) had an identical problem with his rig just last week and it turned out to be the turbocharger. I sent a message out to road repair and they said to check all the fluids for now and to come by an OC as soon as possible. Fontana, CA has an operating center, but it would be about sixty miles out of the way. I could just make it there, if the next two days go perfectly and operations allows me to relay the load. Alternatively, I could hope to get routed back there after getting unloaded; I'd have just enough hours on my seventy to make it. I'll have to call first shift in the morning to try and work out some sort of plan about all this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment