Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dedicated Account Acquired

As I was trying to resume work, I also put my name in for a couple of dedicated accounts. Apparently I've accrued some good karma somewhere, because last Thursday morning I got a call about one of those applications. Fast forward to this week, and on Thursday I was able to talk with everyone that needed to sign off on the transfer... which actually went through pretty quickly. Friday, I actually talked with the account manager and found out some more of the specifics about the run. I'll actually be earning a fixed salary on this run, making as much as I did while over the road, and get home every day and have weekends off. There are a couple of downsides: I'd have a roughly 30-minute commute each way, my shifts would likely start between 1 and 5 AM, and I have to use a pallet jack to unload the trailer myself. Still, this will allow me to enjoy most of the social functions in the area, while still maintaining a job as a driver and getting to see the country. This is really about as good as it could have gotten for me.

I start training for the new position tomorrow and it's supposed to last a week. I'll likely have further updates tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hot damn! Congrats on getting a local job! Hopefully it's one of those where even if the plant/dc/warehouse/whatever shuts down for a day you still get paid for it :P Can't wait to hear how everything goes!

    ReplyDelete