Friday, January 8, 2010

West Memphis, AR - What the truck?

After the frustrations of dealing with Minnesota and the surrounding states recently, I'm glad I've finally gotten far enough south to see temperatures that are near freezing, as opposed to dealing with things well below zero. Just getting started this morning was a pain in the butt though, as my front-left trailer brakes were stuck. Thankfully the tires just slid on the ice harmlessly before I noticed it. It then took a good twenty minutes of hammering away at the thing to get them to free up before I went on my way. Today's drive was mercifully uneventful. The snow had stopped before I took off late this morning, so I just saw the aftermath, including two semis and lots of cars stuck in the median in Iowa. Road conditions were about what I expected; left lane mostly covered in snow, right lane partially cleared. Once I got out of Iowa things improved somewhat, and by St. Louis the roads were basically dry.

Upon arriving in West Memphis I tried to get those DOT things taken care of. The estimator, though, wanted none of it. He started shouting at me, explaining why he wouldn't write up a repair on the inspection report (the steer horn) and that he refused to even sign my logbook stating that it was not something that needed repair under any circumstances. I called road repair to try get a second opinion, for lack of anyone else to talk to, only to watch the estimator walk out about two minutes later, apologize, and say he'd already written everything up for repair. I'm in the shop now waiting for someone to get started; soon as they get done I'm going to bed and hoping I don't have to withstand someone's temper tomorrow. :p

Update (12:45 AM): Repairs are finally done. The headlight issue took only about five minutes. The horn, however, took three mechanics over an hour to fix. It was all I could do to not burst out laughing as they climbed around trying to figure out why the infernal thing wouldn't work. But they fixed it all, signed off on the repairs, and I'm legal to get moving in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment