Monday, January 11, 2010

Indianapolis, IN - Hang up

Things the last couple of days have gone reasonably well - hence the lack of anything to post about - but something happened shortly after my arrival here at the Indy OC that drove me up the wall. I was assigned another load (yes, more than a day before I'm delivering this one) that has a rather strict time window and required I call in to assure everyone involved I could deliver it on time. After a brief glance, it looks like I can just make the pick up tomorrow and head to the nearby Carlisle, PA operating center to take my break. The problem, however, is that I only have 12:15 left out of my 70 and will likely use all of that up tomorrow trying to get things moved around. I'm picking up 5:30 for Wednesday, of which I'll need about half of that just to get to where I'm delivering, 100 miles away to a small town south of Baltimore. That leaves me - in the absolute best case scenario - just three hours with which to get another load and/or find a legal place to park.

I tried to convey my concerns about this while on the conference call, but neither my DBL nor the person from customer service would even listen to that; they both refused to even consider anything other than the implications of my upcoming assignment. After we had things more or less sorted out on that run, the customer service person thanked me for my time and hung up. I tried then bringing up the concerns I had about the situation to my DBL, but she also hung up before I could even finish a sentence. And, of course, it was exactly 4 o'clock when she hung up; when I tried calling back my call was immediately routed to the night shift, who wouldn't know the situation or have the authority to do anything about it.

About the only thing that I can do at this point is to call in sometime tomorrow, likely before I head to pick the load up at all. I've no intention of even taking the load if they can't assure me that I won't be stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere and forced into taking a 34 hour break at a place without facilities. I've had it happen before; I'm not going to let it happen again. The only other thing I can take some solace in is the simple fact that, in six days, I'll be going on my vacation and transferring to another OC, ensuring I won't have to deal with any of these people in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment