Thursday, September 10, 2009

Evergreen, AL - Three hundred miles to go nowhere

I finally ended up back to work today, though I got a bit of a later start than operations would have liked. I even got put back on the load that I'd told them yesterday that I probably wouldn't be able to pick up, since I had to go so far just to get an empty trailer, but they insisted that I run with it anyway since they found an empty that was more than 50 miles closer (83 v. 140). It worked out, but only just; I made it onto their property less than five minutes before they stopped taking new trucks for shipping. I got away with being in the wrong part of the facility, too, since I had to go from one gate to another, then to a scale, then past there to a fourth location to get the truck loaded. Once that was completed I was given a ticket off the facility's scale and sent on my way.

Since it was already getting kinda late and construction on US 84 cost me quite a bit of time, I just stopped back here in Evergreen for the night. The only other places I could have stopped were in Montgomery (if I were lucky) and potentially the consignee (if they were open past 7 PM), but I was feeling unusually tired so I just called it a day early. I'll have about 150 miles to go tomorrow to deliver this thing; hopefully my next run will be long enough to be worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment