Monday, August 24, 2009

Binghamton, NY - A shade of sanity

Another day of madness, but at least I can say with relatively high confidence that things should settle down a bit, at least for tomorrow. I woke up early, grabbed an empty, went to my first pick up stop... only to find out that they didn't have shipping labels for UPS. After about 45 minutes of phone calls and such, the decision was made that I should make what originally was the second stop first, then backtrack, which added about 80 miles of driving around Boston. The second stop was simple enough, though finding it was not: I had to improvise my own route to get there and my choices ended up involving a few 13'6" high overpasses and left me parked quite illegally on a state route as I tried to figure out where the truck entrance was (in the back, down an alley marked clearly "no trucks").

Once loaded I headed back to the first place, got my load there in about an hour, and started making time. A quick food stop and a fuel stop were all I did along the way and I arrived here having exhausted my 14 hours for the day and my 70 hours for the last eight days. Tomorrow leaves me with just six hours available, of which half an hour will be consumed by a pre-trip; I'm still going to try cram over 300 miles in the remaining time so I can make it into Ohio. My delivery is pretty much a non-issue unless I severely oversleep or have some other unforseeable issue arise, since I'll be picking up plenty of hours and only need to go 200 miles to the warehouse. This means I actually can sleep in 'til 4 AM, instead of having to get up at three or earlier, and should be able to get to bed at a reasonable hour instead of having to try sleep in the middle of the afternoon. Hopefully that trend will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment