Monday, July 27, 2009

Big Springs, NE - Wild ride

Things with work have actually being going remarkably well lately, which is why I haven't written much in here. After all, it's more interesting to write about conflict than to just go on about a perfect day after a perfect day.

In the interest of keeping this brief, I've had three weekends in a row in Gary, IN, but finally broke out of that streak with a run heading out west. I detoured to Denver and took a day off there instead before delivering in Ogden, UT yesterday, capping off another 1200 mile run. My next assignment? Pick up a load in Wyoming and go 1200 miles back east to... wait for it... Gary, IN. Well, not really, but it's fewer than ten miles from the operating center there and I plan on waiting at the OC on Wednesday for my delivery appointment Thursday morning.

Though things overall are going well, that's not to say that there haven't been a few snags along the way. This morning I managed to grab an empty trailer with a small hole in a top corner; it was completely impossible to see in the dark due to the awkward position but pretty obvious once the sun came up. They had me take it to the customer anyway, though; they'll have someone go out there to fix it, sooner or later. Less than two miles from the customer, though, I heard a sudden shattering - no impact, just a shatter - as a golf-ball sized crack materialized in the driver's side of my windshield. It doesn't impact my visibility thankfully, as it's in the lower right corner, but it is an item that I'll have to get fixed once I make it to the operating center. My day was cut a bit short by a tire blowout, further adding to the maintenance bill; there's a 24-hour shop only eight miles up the road, though, so I should be able to limp there in the morning to get it replaced.

All these issues have thrown some significant doubts on my trip plan, but I still have an outside chance of making it to Chicagoland a full day early and banking yet another day of layover pay. It all depends on whether or not the shop can actually get me out of there in under an hour as the emergency maintenance hotline claimed. Hopefully the place will have somewhere I can get a quick bite to eat so I can at least save an additional stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment